HOW TO RECEIVE COMPENSATION FROM JAZZ IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
- You must currently be working as a professional jazz musician.
- The leader of an ensemble must be a current or former resident of the Bay Area and at least half of the members of the ensemble must be locally based. The greater Bay Area encompasses San Francisco, Marin, Alameda, and Contra Costa counties and parts of Sonoma, Solano, Napa, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties.
- Promote your event as being supported by Jazz in the Neighborhood’s Guaranteed Fair Wage Fund.
- At the event, talk to the audience about Jazz in the Neighborhood and why there is a Guaranteed Fair Wage Fund. Points to address will be provided.
- Provide email addresses for each musician with the understanding that they will be entered into Jazz in the Neighborhood’s Pro Musician mailing list, which is not shared with any other party.
- After the event, the leader (or designated representative) provides the following information to Jazz in the Neighborhood before being paid the 10% leader’s fee:
- Confirmation that each band member received a check for JITN’s guaranteed minimum, which is $150 per musician, or $100 for ensembles larger than an octet.
- The number of tickets sold and/or the number of people in the audience.
- Methods used to promote the event.
Email this info, along with postal mailing address and tax ID, to email@example.com
- First, arrange a performance date with a venue that has agreed to participate in the Guaranteed Fair Wage Fund program.
- Then, send the following application information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The name of your ensemble, and the names and instruments of the individual musicians.
- Your name as the leader (or designated representative); your contact info.
- The venue where you intend to perform.
- The date you intend to perform. Please apply at least two months in advance.
- A description of the music you plan to perform. What will the audience find especially interesting about this performance? Is there anything, new, unique, or special about your event?
- How you will promote your event.
- Your website url and social media presence.
- If your application is approved, we will email you and the venue at least 30 days in advance of the performance date.
- Note that the number of Guaranteed Fair Wage Fund events approved by Jazz in the Neighborhood will vary depending on its annual budget. Selection of applicants will reflect our intention to promote diversity of musical styles and artists working within the jazz genre in the San Francisco Bay Area.