Your cart is currently empty!
What we do
- Support and present performances by local jazz musicians throughout the Bay Area.
- Promote guaranteed compensation for professional jazz musicians though the Guaranteed Fair Wage Fund.
- Mentor and coach emerging musical artists.
- Provide opportunities for aspiring jazz musicians to learn on the bandstand.
- Educate the public about the economics of jazz performance.
emerging artists program
Our Emerging Artist program gives aspiring jazz musicians an opportunity to take part in the time-honored tradition of learning on the bandstand. By performing on stage with established jazz musicians—either as featured players or opening acts—those selected for the program receive a small stipend in addition to valuable real-life experience.
Since 2013, Jazz in the Neighborhood has sponsored well over 100 Emerging Artists.
The Emerging Artists program focuses on musicians who are working towards a dedicated career in jazz. Through a competitive selection process, pre-professional solo, duo, or trio acts will be engaged to perform in multiple events throughout the year. In addition to coaching and performance experience, the musicians will receive on-going mentorship to help advance their careers.
guaranteed fair wage fund
Jazz musicians have long been participants in the “gig” economy. Very few have the security of regular employment playing jazz, especially with the decline of union representation.
For many, the economics of jazz performance has become a cut of ticket sales, a tip jar, maybe a free meal, and often a day job. This kind of remuneration hardly seems fair given the knowledge, skill, and practice that’s required to become a jazz musician.
So unlike many concert producers, Jazz in the Neighborhood guarantees musicians a fair wage when they perform at our events. We encourage all venues to join us in paying a guaranteed fair wage to jazz musicians.
past Guaranteed Fair Wage Fund venues
- Bird & Beckett 653 Chenery Street, San Francisco
- Calliope East Bay Music and Arts
- Mr. Tipples Recording Studio 39 Fell Street, San Francisco
- Jazz on the Patio
- Recovery Room
- Art Boutiki 44 Race Street, San Jose
- Broadway Grill
- Cafe Pink House 14577 Big Basin Way, Saratoga
- La Crema 1106 Solano Avenue, Albany
- Marin Country Mart Larkspur Landing, Larkspur
- Spark Arts Gallery 4229 18th Street, San Francisco
- Tam Commons Tap Room + Kitchen 1300 4th Street, San Rafael
- Word A Cafe
If you know of a venue that would like to participate but is not listed here, please put them in touch with Jazz in the Neighborhood, firstname.lastname@example.org
IMA Educator Directory
The Independent Musicians Alliance’s Directory of Performing Jazz Educators is a directory of teaching and performing artists in the Bay Area. Check out the listings to find a teacher for you or your child!